How to Remove an Account from Google Photos
Google Photos is an excellent platform for keeping a backup of all your photos on your phone. Google photos is the default gallery app for many users because of its fancy features like automatically syncing your device’s photos on the cloud. However, some users feel that when they add photos to Google photos, they are visible on their phones as well. Moreover, some users have privacy concerns when their Google account saves all their photos to the cloud backup. Therefore, you may want to remove an account from Google photos that you feel is not secure or is a shared account.
5 Ways to Remove an Account from Google Photos
Reasons to Remove an Account from Google Photos
There may be several reasons why you may want to remove your account from Google photos. The primary reason could be, you may not have enough storage on Google Photos and do not want to buy additional storage . Another reason why users prefer to remove their account from Google photos is because of privacy concerns when their account is not secure or more than one person has access to their account.
Method 1: Use Google Photos without an Account
You have the option of disconnecting your account from Google photos and use the services without an account. When you use the Google photos app without an account, then it will function as a normal offline gallery app.
1. Open Google Photos on your device then tap on your Profile icon from the top-right corner of the screen. The old version of the app has the profile icon on the left side of the screen.
2. Now, tap on the down arrow icon next to your Google Account and select ‘Use without an account.’
That’s it; now Google Photos will function as a general gallery app without any backup feature. It will remove your account from Google photos.
Method 2: Disable Backup and Sync option
If you don’t know how to unlink Google Photos from the cloud backup, you can easily disable the backup and sync option on the Google photos app. When you disable the backup option, your device’s photos will not sync to the cloud backup.
1. Open the Google Photos app on your device and tap on your Profile icon. Now, go to Photos settings or tap on Settings if you are using the old version.
2. Tap on Backup and sync then turn off the toggle for ‘Backup and sync‘ to stop your photos from syncing to the cloud backup.
That’s it; your photos will not sync with Google photos, and you can use the Google photos like a regular gallery app.
Also Read: Merge Multiple Google Drive & Google Photos Accounts
Method 3: Completely Remove an Account from Google Photos
You have the option of entirely removing your account from Google photos. When you remove your Google account, it will log you out of other Google services such as Gmail, YouTube, drive, or others. You may also lose all your data that you have synced with Google photos. So, if you want to remove an account from Google photos completely, you have to remove it from your phone itself.
1. Open the Settings on your Android or iOS device then scroll down and tap on the ‘Accounts and sync‘ tab.
2. Tap on Google to access your account then Select your Google Account that you have linked with Google photos.
3. Tap on More from the bottom of the screen then tap on ‘Remove account.’
This method will completely remove your account from Google Photos, and your photos will no longer sync with Google photos. However, you will not be able to use other Google services such as Gmail, Drive, calendar, or other with the account that you are removing.
Method 4: Switch Between Multiple Accounts
If you have more than one Google account and you want to switch to a different account on Google photos, then you have to turn off the backup and sync option on the first account. After you disable the backup on the first account, you can log in to Google photos using your second account and enable the backup option. Here is how to disconnect your account from Google photos:
1. Open Google Photos on your device and tap on your Profile icon from the top then go to Settings or Photos settings depending on your version of Google photos.
2. Tap on Backup and sync then turn off the toggle ‘Back up and sync.’
3. Now, go back to the home screen on Google photos and again tap on your Profile icon from the top.
4. Tap on the down arrow icon next to your Google account then select ‘Add another account‘ or select the account that you have already added to your device.
5. After you successfully login into your new account, tap on your Profile icon from the top of the screen and go to Photos Settings or Settings.
6. Tap on Back up and sync and turn on the toggle for ‘Backup and sync.’
That’s it, now your previous account is removed, and your new photos will back up on your new account.
Also Read: How to Fix Google Photos shows blank photos
Method 5: Remove Google Account from other Devices
Sometimes, you may log in to your Google account by using your friend’s device or any public device. But, you forgot to log out of your account. In this situation, you can remotely remove an account from Google photos from other devices. When you leave your Google account logged in on someone else’s phone, the user can easily access your photos through Google photos. However, you have the option of easily logging out of your Google account from someone else’s device.
1. Open the Google Photos and tap on your Profile icon from the top-right corner of the screen then tap on Manage your Google account.
2. Swipe the tabs from the top and go to the Security tab then scroll down and tap on Your devices.
3. Finally, tap on the three vertical dots next to the connected device from where you wish to log out and tap on ‘Sign out.’
1. Open Google Photos in your Chrome browser and log in to your Google account if not logged in.
2. Click on your Profile icon from the top right of your browser screen. and click on Manage your Google account.
3. Go to the Security tab from the panel on the left of the screen. and scroll down and click on ‘Your Devices.’
4. Finally, you will see the list of all your connected devices, click on the device you wish to remove, and click on Sign out.
This way, you can easily sign out of your Google account that you forgot to log out on another device.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How do I Unlink my Phone from Google Photos?
To unlink your phone or your account from Google photos, you can easily use the Google photos app without an account. When you use Google photos without an account, then it will function as a regular gallery app. To do this, head to Google photos > tap on your profile icon > click on the down arrow next to your account>select use without an account to unlink your phone from Google photos. The app will no longer back up your photos on the cloud.
How do I Remove Google Photos from another device?
Google account offers users to remove their account from another device easily. To do this, you can open the google photos app on your device and click on your profile icon. Tap on Manage your Google account>security > your devices > tap on the device you wish to unlink your account from and finally click on sign out.
- Change Your Name, Phone Number and Other Info in Google Account
- Fix Google Photos not uploading photos on Android
- How to Edit Videos in Google Photos for Android
- 3 Ways to Block YouTube Ads on Android
We hope this guide was helpful, and you were easily able to remove or unlink your account from Google photos. If you liked the article, let us know in the comments below.